There are suggestions along maybe similar lines at
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36844, and I am trying to think of
how we might incorporate your suggestions and the other ones. I've had the
thought before about other documents (like our department's by-laws) that
there should be two separate documents: the main one and then, separately,
commentary (like the Talmud). These suggestions currently feel more like
commentary to me, but one option would be to add a "commentary" section to
the code of conduct.

--
John