Take a look at the discussion at
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36337, in particular
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36337#issuecomment-1741293729. I saw
both "duplicate rpath" warnings and "duplicate library" warnings. Some
(maybe all, at least at that point) of the duplicate rpaths were removed by
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36364, but I don't know how to
prevent the duplicate libary warnings.

--
John

On Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 1:07:17 PM UTC-7 marc....@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I have noticed that .dylib files generated by Sage often have as many as 3
> identical rpaths.  (When building the macOS app I remove all rpaths and
> replace them with a single rpath which is relative, meaning it starts with
> @loader_path.  Apple will not notarize app bundles with absolute rpaths.)
>
> I wonder if the "duplicate libraries" warnings are caused by duplicate
> rpath entries in the mach files.  I will try to test that hypothesis.
>
> Do you have any idea what could cause those duplicate rpaths?  Are there
> multiple -rpath options being passed to the compiler?
>
> - Marc
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 2:50 PM John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> I just tried building Sage without `-ld-classic`. It builds, but I get
>> warnings about "ignoring duplicate libraries", and those cause doctest
>> failures. The lines could be modified to test whether xcode-select is
>> present and executable first, or since Sage now does indeed build without
>> `-ld-classic`, we could filter out the warnings when doctesting.
>>
>> --
>> John
>>

>> On Wednesday, April 24, 2024 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-7 marc....@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, it almost solved the problem.
>>>
>>> It turns out that calling /usr/bin/gcc was not the only issue in
>>> sage-env.  That script also calls xcode-select.  On a system with no XCode
>>> app and no command line tools, calling gcc causes an error message to be
>>> printed to stderr and a dialog to open asking whether to install the
>>> command line tools.  Calling xcode-select on such a system prints the same
>>> error message but does not open the dialog. The error message appears in
>>> the terminal when running sage in a command line, which is annoying and/or
>>> alarming to someone with no plans to do anything involving compilation of C
>>> code.
>>>
>>> The calls to xcode-select were added in PR#36599
>>> <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36599> in order to force XCode
>>> to use Apple's ld-classic linker instead of ld when their new version of ld
>>> was totally broken.  This is done by adding -ld_classic to LDFLAGS.
>>>
>>> *Note to people who worked on PR #36599* (@jhpalmieri and @mkoeppe): I
>>> think Apple's new linker is working now, so it is probably no longer
>>> necessary and not a good idea to force use of ld_classic.
>>>
>>> - Marc
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at 10:45:54 PM UTC-5 Marc Culler wrote:
>>>
>>> That was it!
>>>
>>> Thank you Gonzalo; indeed, it helps a lot.  And your workaround is fine,
>>> since we don't support the -i option,  Even if we did, the default names
>>> for as, ld and ar are correct whenever the command line tools are
>>> installed.  So that block of code is completely irrelevant for the macOS