On Nov 25, 9:53 pm, "Minh Nguyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:45 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > I'm really glad you volunteered, since you have *amazing* attention
> > to detail.   You can upload release notes to a trac ticket -- there should
> > be one such ticket for each release.   The format of the release notes
> > is just what it has been -- and to figure out what goes in there you just
> > have to use trac to figure out what tickets were closed for a given
> > release, and who was involved (both patch authors and reviewers).
> > And Michael Abshoff can answer any question you might have.
>
> Sounds good to me. OK, let me try being a "release note" maker/checker
> for a while.

Excellent.

Another long term project I never got to do is the cleanup of
HISTORY.txt. There are several things to do:

 (a) fix all the spelling issues
 (b) format consistently to 72 characters and wrap lines properly
 (c) get all the names consistent since I can't seem to spell certain
people correctly for each ticket
 (d) rewrite the old releases properly, i.e. SAGE-2.8.12 is not
consistent in style
 (e) improve the default template for releases, i.e. what I currently
do is organically grown and could certainly use the touch of a good PR-
smith.

This cleanup should be done section by section and I would suggest of
you want to work on this do the following:

 (a) copy HISTORY.txt to HISTORY.txt.orig
 (b) Fix one release in HISTORY.txt and make a diff to
HISTORY.txt.orig
 (c) open a ticket in trac and post the diff and let me and others
review

Then once we have agreed on form and style and so on it is all lather,
rinse repeat until HISTORY.txt is done. It would also be great if you
were willing to do "Sage Release Tours" for the releases where there
is none yet. This probably makes sense to a certain point, i.e. not
back all the way, but we will see. I think if you did this it wold be
a great service to the Sag project.

Cheers,

Michael