On Nov 26, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Jason Grout wrote:

> David Joyner wrote:
>> This is less than what google or sun does. However, GAP does
>> nothing like this.
>> On the other hand, GAP is organized around modules (often single-
>> authored
>> and sometimes with non-GPL'd licenses), with a small number of people
>> contributing to the kernel. I don't think Maxima does this either.
>> But
>> as I pointed out
>> in the original post, the book by Van Lindberg seems to be indicating
>> that this is
>> something he recommends thinking about.
>

> Linux is a huge open-source project to which lots of huge corporations
> are committing code, as well as single people.  What do they do?  What
> about other projects that have lots of people committing code?
>
> I agree it's better to be safe than sorry, but I also am pulling for
> making the contributing process streamlined.

I agree, this should be streamlined as much as possible. Given that
everything that gets into Sage requires going through trac, and we
require accounts to edit tickets, this is a very good single point of
entry to take care of whatever licensing issues we want to care
about. A simple agreement that by submitting code to trac on is
releasing it under GPL V2+, (unless otherwise explicitly stated, to
be able to accept, e.g. BSD code, and noted as part of the referee
process, and documentation under CC) would probably be good enough.
An email would need to be sent out to all current trac accounts, and
all new users would agree to this before being given an account.

A reminder could be put on the file upload page too.

- Robert