I think that we should try to support old-style packages. Given that many
of them are broken, and given that there are only 30 optional old-style
packages (at least on http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/optional/), we can
just look at them and white-list the ones that work and/or are not ancient.
I just tried on OS X, and the following installed without apparent problems:

(listed with most recently modified first)

ore_algebra (modified less than a year ago)
chomp
biopython
cluster_seed
coxeter
lie
phc
pybtex
nzmath
qhull (last modified five years ago)

I think that we should white-list at least some of these, and also try to
convert some of them (all of them?) to new-style packages. Same with
Simon's p_group_cohomology package, which didn't build correctly for me. I
don't have objections to leaving things as they are (i.e., completely
opaque, maybe also stop them from being listed in "sage --optional") for
the broken old-style spkgs (many of the others, although I didn't test all
of the ones that were last modified more than 5 years ago).

By white-list, I mean that in sage-spkg, deal with these cases explicitly.
Maybe that means deleting the broken ones from the server and rolling back
#19004, I don't know.

  John