On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2018-12-20 00:12, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > How about trying to get this into 8.5? (or perhaps 8.5.1?)
>
> Rushing GAP 4.10 in Sage 8.5 doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
> Ideally, it should be sufficiently tested in betas.

Depends on what you mean by "rushing".  More "release candidates" can
be made, which are effectively no different from "testing in betas".
I agree it needs to be tested more before it can be considered truly
"done", but either that's going to happen in additional 8.5 "release
candidates" or 8.6 "betas".  Personally I don't care either way as
long as it gets done quickly as possible.  But it seems like a waste
of time to make two minor-version number releases in quick succession.

(This is an example of why I believe there needs to be more community
involvement and communication in planning releases at regular
intervals instead of just "moving forward" according to some seemingly
arbitrary plan.)