On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:11:17 AM UTC-8, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:06:45 AM UTC-8, John H Palmieri wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:57:24 AM UTC-8, John H Palmieri wrote:

>>> I checked out #26451 (which updates Sphinx) and ran "make". Played
>>> around with it for a while, then checked out "develop" and ran "make".
>>> Frequently, but maybe not every time, math.py remains and I get an import
>>> error when Sage uses Sphinx to build the documentation.
>>>

>> It's also possible that I ran "./sage -f sphinx", too, in case that makes
>> a difference.

> I just now checked out the git branch for #26451, ran "make build", then
> checked out develop, and ran "make". When it reached the docbuilding part
> of things, I got
>
> [dochtml]     from math import sqrt
> [dochtml] ImportError: cannot import name sqrt
>
> because math.py remains in local/lib/python2.7/site-libraries/sphinx/util/
>
> I did it again and the same thing happened (check out 26451, make build,
> check out develop, make).

The installation log for Sphinx says

Old-style or corrupt stamp file
> '/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/git/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sphinx-1.7.6.p0'
> No legacy uninstaller found for 'sphinx'; nothing to do

(A message like this appears for both the old and new versions of Sphinx.)
Could this be related? The json file seems to be corrupted: it looks to me
like the file names should be quoted. Of course, all of the stamp files in
the "installed" directory have this format, so my guess is that they are
all corrupted, as far as json (or Python's json module) is concerned.