On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 6:26 PM John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:11:17 AM UTC-8, John H Palmieri wrote:

>>> It's also possible that I ran "./sage -f sphinx", too, in case that makes a
>>> difference.

>> I just now checked out the git branch for #26451, ran "make build", then
>> checked out develop, and ran "make". When it reached the docbuilding part of
>> things, I got
>>
>> [dochtml]     from math import sqrt
>> [dochtml] ImportError: cannot import name sqrt
>>
>> because math.py remains in local/lib/python2.7/site-libraries/sphinx/util/
>>
>> I did it again and the same thing happened (check out 26451, make build,
>> check out develop, make).
>

> The installation log for Sphinx says
>
>> Old-style or corrupt stamp file
>> '/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/git/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sphinx-1.7.6.p0'
>> No legacy uninstaller found for 'sphinx'; nothing to do
>

> (A message like this appears for both the old and new versions of Sphinx.)
> Could this be related? The json file seems to be corrupted: it looks to me
> like the file names should be quoted. Of course, all of the stamp files in
> the "installed" directory have this format, so my guess is that they are all
> corrupted, as far as json (or Python's json module) is concerned.

Indeed that is the problem.  It appears that those files are corrupt
on OSX.  I can reproduce this as well.  I wonder why no one's
mentioned it before now: That could have been a real source of
problems (including this one)!

Apparently it comes down to a GNU sed vs. BSD sed difference.  I think
I'll just replace this part of the code with a snippet of Python.

I sure do hate computers.