The problem went away after I did "make distclean; make build".

Originally what I did after checking out a new branch was
(1) put the new tarball into upstream/
(2) edit the file build/pkgs/eclib/package-version.txt
(3) issue the magic command which updates the checksum
(4) ./sage -i eclib [causes the new eclib to be built OK]
(5) make build  [rebuilds some cython files which depend on eclib]
(6) run tests

Surely that should work, so whatever is deciding what needs doing in step
(5) is possibly not getting it quite right.

John