On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 09:16, Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2019-02-26 17:52, John Cremona wrote:
> > I am testing a new version of the standard spkg eclib, see
> > https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27360.  I am getting doctesting
> > failures caused *only* because of changes in output buffering resulting
> > in the tail end of the output of one command appearing at the beginning
> > of the output of the next.
>
> Since this is I/O related, it might make a difference if you redirect
> stdout and/or stderr to a file. For example, doing
>
> ./sage -t somefile.py 2>err.log
>
> instead of
>
> ./sage -t somefile.py
>
> Do you happen to have the *exact* command line that you used to run tests?

I did

./sage -t src/sage/libs/eclib

from the SAGE_ROOT directory.  No redirection.

I note that the file mwrank.pyx in that directory has in a few places in
the code the lines
   if verb:
        sys.stdout.flush()
        sys.stderr.flush()

which looks like dealing with the same issue (since there will have been
side-effect output iff verb)

I'll be uploading a branch to review very soon.  There were a few small
changes resulting from the default precision changing from 50 digits to 150
bits.  (I know that 166 bits is closer.)  There is some stupidity here, as
noted in comments, since in some cases a value is computed in eclib to
higher precision but is converted to a float later.  I don't think this
happens anywhere that matters:  no code or doctest changes were required
outside sage/libs/eclib.