I'm seeing the same failure on a Mac running the most recent OS X. I have
openssl 1.1.1a installed on this machine, and I see the error in Sage. Then
I did './sage -i openssl' and './sage -f python2', and I still see the
error. The Python 2 log file does not list ssl among the modules which were
not built, so it looks like it was built with ssl support.