On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:51 PM John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm seeing the same failure on a Mac running the most recent OS X. I have
> openssl 1.1.1a installed on this machine, and I see the error in Sage. Then I
> did './sage -i openssl' and './sage -f python2', and I still see the error.
> The Python 2 log file does not list ssl among the modules which were not
> built, so it looks like it was built with ssl support.

Can you use Sage's pip on packages from external repos, or is this also
broken?

Looking at how Homebrew installs openssl 1.1.1b, one sees that it does
some post_install involving system's keychains and certs:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/open...@1.1.rb

So it could be that Sage's openssl spkg must dance this dance too.

It looks like a need for a blocker trac ticket on this, then...