I don't know really why (well, lack of information, surely) MacOS
people continue to put themselves and their machines
through the torture of building  full Sagemath toolchain,
whereas a considerable number of Homebrew packages can be used
instead, including gfortran, gmp, yasm, NTL, etc etc etc.

I've played around with creating custom Homebrew formulae, here:
https://github.com/dimpase/homebrew-science
and have there (source code-only) formulae for flint and arb,
something missing from the main Homebrew site.

So you can do

brew install dimpase/science/flint

and

brew install dimpase/science/arb

to get up to date flint and arb built and installed, so that building
Sage from source does not need these re-built.

Needless to say, one can also install Conda, and installing Sage there
will automatically install most of the Sage packages listed on
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27330
(so that they don't need to be built)

And then building Sage from source at Conda "prompt" should be using them...

HTH
Dima