OK, the answer is below:

The file splay.c is actually taken from Nauty, so that issue should be
resolved there. The most obvious solution is to not compile this as C99,
but as C89 since that is what buckygen was written in.

So, I can mail this to Brendan McKay to ask to solve this, but since Nauty
is already in Sage the issue should already be resolved in that code, so we
could also just take splay.c from there.

Nico