Thanks everyone for their comments.

 > try explicitly adding "-stdlib=libc++" to CXXLAGS and LDFLAGS.

Adding these flags to the Makefile didn't change anything: the build again
failed with givaro-4.1.1

> After installing Xcode, did you run Xcode?

Yes, of course! Xcode and the command line tools are both fully installed,
with the terms and conditions agreed. The build would fail much earlier if
this was not the case.

Just for fun I tried reinstalling Xcode (and the command line tools and
then accepting the xcode conditions etc) but this made no difference in the
sense that the sage build died at exactly the same place. Perhaps I should
winding back to xcode 11?

Andrew