Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 04:49:03PM -0700, Michael Jung wrote:
> I'd like to use symbolic expressions in the source code to compute taylor
> expansions of predefined functions. But this affects the use of variables
> named the same way on the level of the user. Is there a safe way to use the
> framework of symbolic calculus without affecting the variables globally?

Indeed, we have:

sage: a = 2
sage: a
2
sage: b = var('a')
sage: b
sage: a

because the `var` function do two things simultaneously:
- return the symbol a
- let the Python name a point to the symbol a

The trick is to use SR.var instead, that only returns something but does
not play with the namespace:

sage: a = 2
sage: a
2
sage: b = SR.var('a')
sage: b
sage: a
2

Let me take the opportunity to promote the use of
https://ask.sagemath.org/questions/ for such questions, since it
benefits to more users (in particular it is well indexed by search
engines).

Ciao,
Thierry