On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 02:59:43AM -0700, Michael Jung wrote:
> The issue is more subtle than that. My variable must be defined on the
> complex domain. But
> sage: x = SR.var('x', domain='complex')
> changes the domain of x permanently.

OK, i did not understood your question. This is because symbols have
unique representation, based only on their "name", not assumptions:

sage: x = SR.var('x', domain='complex')
sage: y = SR.var('x', domain='real')
sage: x is y
True

This is indeed unfortunate. I would say it is a bug, but fixing it would
require to refactor a lot of code in handling assumptions. The only
short-term workaround i see is to use different symbols.

Ciao,
Thierry