Yes, that fits. Now that I know to look, I see buried in my gap install log

Uninstalling existing 'gap'
Running pre-uninstall script for 'gap'
/Users/jpalmier/Desktop/Sage/git/sage/local/var/lib/sage/scripts/gap/spkg-prerm:

line 13: /Users/jpalmier/Desktop/Sage/git/sage/src/bin/sage-dist-helpers:
No such file or directory
Error: failed to source sage-dist-helpers
Is /Users/jpalmier/Desktop/Sage/git/sage the correct SAGE_ROOT?
Error: The pre-uninstall script for 'gap' failed; the package will not be
uninstalled, and some manual intervention may be needed to repair the
package's state before uninstallation can proceed.  Check further up in
this log for more details, or the pre-uninstall script itself at