Sun 2017-05-14 11:23:45 UTC+1, Pierre:

> Thanks everyone for the answers. If i ever reach the stage when
> i can run gudhi on some computer, and then the stage when i can
> install it on my own computer, then i'll contemplate the project of
> writing an interface to sage -- but don't hold your breath...

I successfully installed Gudhi in a CoCalc project, see below.
I can invite you as a collaborator on that project if that would help.

Visiting the home page at [0], I picked the menu item
[Download] > [Get the sources] which got me to [1],
where I found that I probably wanted item [2] listed there.

[0] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/
[1] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=3865
[2]
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/file/37020/2017-08-22-15-45-31_GUDHI_2.0.1-rc1.tar.gz

Back to [0], the [Installation] menu has four items:
- [C++ documentation], pointing to [3]
- [C++ installation manual], pointing to [4]
- [Python documentation], pointing to [5]
- [Python installation manual], pointing to [6]

[3] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/doc/latest/
[4] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/doc/latest/installation.html
[5] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/python/latest/
[6] http://gudhi.gforge.inria.fr/python/latest/installation.html

Following the instructions at [4] I ran the following commands in a terminal

    $ URL='https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/file/37020/'
    $ DIRNAME='2017-08-22-15-45-31_GUDHI_2.0.1-rc1'
    $ TARBALL=$DIRNAME'.tar.gz'
    $ curl -C - --retry 99 -o $TARBALL $URL$TARBALL
    $ tar xzf $TARBALL
    $ cd $DIRNAME
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build/
    $ cmake ..
    $ make

This worked well, ending with this message

    [100%] Do not forget to add
/projects/acf3855b-c4e1-46dc-b895-ec496577848b/2017-08-22-15-45-31_GUDHI_2.0.1-rc1/build/cython/

to your PYTHONPATH before using examples or tests

I then continued and ran the tests:

    $ make test

which also completed successfully.

Following the instructions at [6] I then ran the following

    $ make cython
    $ cd cython
    $ export PYTHONPATH='$PYTHONPATH:/path-to-gudhi/build/cython'
    $ ctest -R py_test

and everything worked fine.

[The next instruction at [6] was about building the documentation
with sphinx-doc; that did not work; but we don't really need it.]