From: Servercert-wg <servercert-wg-boun...@cabforum.org> On Behalf Of Wayne
Thayer via Servercert-wg
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2024 11:18 AM
To: Martijn Katerbarg <martijn.katerb...@sectigo.com>
Cc: CA/B Forum Server Certificate WG Public Discussion List
<servercert-wg@cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [Servercert-wg] Compromised/Weak Keys Ballot Proposal

Martijn,

I would summarize the reasoning for removing the Debian requirements as follows:

- CAs would prefer the greater clarity that would be provided by the weak keys
ballot that failed last year.

- However, some CAs were of the opinion that the prior ballot imposed more
explicit requirements for Debian weak key checking rather than just clarifying
existing requirements. The "new" requirements were viewed as burdensome.

- The Debian vulnerability is more than 15 years old. If an Applicant submits a
Debian weak key at this point, they almost certainly have bigger security
issues.

- So the cost of these requirements outweighs the benefits at this point in
time.

I included a few links to the discussion during the prior balot's voting
period, and there was also discussion at the last SCWG teleconference that
should be captured in the minutes.

Thanks,

Wayne

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 2:19 AM Martijn Katerbarg