FWIW, I think in the recent years, it was mostly security researchers that attempted to request certificates with Debian weak keys to test if a CA was properly blocking them.

If an Applicant uses an outdated OS that generates weak keys, imagine the actual web server or other software that runs on that server, putting Relying Parties at risk. CAs don't have control over that but they could have control over a common set of weak keys using common parameters/algorithms which could be enforced by all CAs.

Dimitris.