From: Servercert-wg <servercert-wg-boun...@cabforum.org> On Behalf Of Martijn
Katerbarg via Servercert-wg
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 5:12 AM
To: CA/B Forum Server Certificate WG Public Discussion List
<servercert-wg@cabforum.org>
Subject: [Servercert-wg] IDNA2003 vs IDNA2008 usage

All,

We’ve recently become aware that some CAs have issued certificates containing
punycode encoded domain labels compatible with IDNA2008, that are not
compatible with IDNA2003.

Our own interpretation is that IDNA2008 is currently not permitted. While the
LDH, Non-Reserved LDH and XN label definitions reference RFC 5890, they only
quote a very specific part of it. Meanwhile the P-Label definition directly
references RFC3492 for encoding. Likewise RFC5280 which the BRs require
adherence to, both reference IDNA2003 (RFC3490). (Side-note, I believe RFC9549
aims to rectify the issue with RFC5280)

As a note, ballot SC48v2 updated the language to the current definition.

I’m looking for the opinions of this group as to their interpretations, as well
as opinions if we indeed want to allow IDNA2008 and make this clear within the
language.

Regards,

Martijn