Just as a sanity check, if you restart the Solr JVM, do the files
disappear from disk?

Do you have any custom code anywhere in this chain? If so, do you open
any searchers but
fail to close them? Although why 6.4 would manifest the problem but
other code wouldn't
is a mystery, just another sanity check.

Best,
Erick