>> There is nothing wrong with email - but there is an awful lot wrong
>> with gnail and Google's ideas on how email is done.  (Not to
>> mention Yahoo, but it seems that MS have the sense to leave the
>> underpinnings of hotmail as they were.)

>> To put it simply - friends don't let friends use gmail.

>> Cheers,
>> GaryB-)

>Short of running my own server, what do you recommend? After losing
>my lifelong email provider (Suffolk.lib.ny.us) and trying a few
>others, I eventually settled for gmail, which I use with Thunderbird.
>I don't have any significant issues with that setup.

And that is OK, as long as you realize that it is quite possible for the e-mail
provider to be the one causing the issues and that they are not inherent in
e-mail itself.  E-mail adds very little in the way of non-pre-existing
conditions that did not exist before the advent of e-mail -- the only real
difference being that one does not need to pay postage to send e-mail.

I run my own e-mail server and have since before there was an "Internet" as
such and still do.  It has moved locations and data centers many times over the
last almost four decades but it has always been mine.  I do have trust issues
with third-parties so perhaps that is part of the reason.  More likely is that
it was interesting to set up way back in the later part of the 80's and early
90's and there was no reason to discontinue using it.  It does cost a few
dollars a month to maintain the infrastructure and does require care and
feeding (particularly security feeding), from time to time, however, mostly all
the running and maintenance is automated, as it should be.  Do something
manually maybe once or twice.  If it needed doing twice then it should be
automated so you don't have to do it manually again.  The exceptions happen to
be major OS or software upgrades which I prefer to do by hand since they only
occur with relative infrequency and may have/cause "other issues".

Periodically I have to re-jig some of the security to counter new tactics
employed by the variety of miscreants out there in the world, but that does not
really need to be done that often at this point (which is really interesting
because as you figure out one method and appropriate countermeasures, another
technique that was hidden in the noise becomes exposed -- this can really be a
really entertaining process).  The fact that a few (4 or 5) spam e-mail slip
through per day, and that the automation tells me that an equal number of new
miscreants have been banished per day, plus the daily automated log audits lets
me know that everything is working properly.