On 22 November 2017 at 17:08, Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Shane,
>

> What I don't understand is why do you need to do that?

Imagine I have a GUI element with a drop down list of fruit. The source of
the list is my fruit table and it may have many entries. It might more
convenient to list the popular fruit near the top. In that case the
fruit.sort_order could represent relative popularity of the fruit entries.

Database idea is to store the data and then retrieve them in any way
> you want at any given time.
>
> So all you need to know that there is a record inserted into the table
> "fruit" on the schema
> "garden".
> Then when the time comes by you can retrieve the records with the
> "ORDER BY" clause.
> Whether you will sort the data by alphabet - fruit_name" or by number
> increment - "Sort_order"
> doesn't really matter.
> Inserting the record is an implementation detail which shouldn't
> bother you at all.

Actually, it interests me. If I knew insertions and updates in the fruit
table were mostly for unpopular fruits, then  Peter Nichvolodov's trigger
solution (
https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org/msg106788.html)
might be the best choice. Otherwise, Clemens Ladisch's linked list in SQL
solution (
https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org/msg106865.html)
might more be efficient. However, querying may be slower.