On May 28, 2018, at 3:35 AM, Rowan Worth <row...@dug.com> wrote:

> On 28 May 2018 at 17:29, x <tam118...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I’ve just discovered the thread in the original app decreases the
>> available memory by around 4 GB. Are they really that expensive?
>
> A thread itself is not expensive in terms of memory.

If you keep to ~1 thread per CPU core, then yes, threads are cheap.

However, some people advocate strategies like 1 thread per TCP connection in a
networked server, so that if each thread takes 2 MiB for a stack and assorted
other small bits of RAM for thread-local storage and such, you’ve limited
yourself to under 2000 TCP connections on a 32-bit OS because you run out of
addressable VM beyond that with a typical 2/2 GiB OS/userland split.

This is why you see so many languages and application frameworks moving to
post-thread models, generically under the “green threads” umbrella: Erlang’s
processes, Go’s goroutines, F#’s async mechanism, etc.