>Actually I cannot reproduce even if I turn off forced RANDOM mode for the
>cache, reduce the size of the >sqlite3 cache to the default, and make sure the
>temp_store is on disk (not my default).

Are you rebooting or flushing the cache between the commands? I don’t have any
problems (except maybe on the first call) if I don’t flush.

>I do note, however, that the actual CPU used is relatively constant (USER+SYS)
>and that it is the REAL time >only that is going "bonkers" which suggests some
>process other than sqlite is what is causing the >slowdown.  It could be
>something the hardware is doing -- I have never used a "tablet" as if it were
>a >computer ...

After rebooting it doesn’t matter how long I wait before running the test. If
it’s some background task it must surely be triggered by what I’m doing. That
said, if the slowness and increasing / decreasing memory is down to windows
caching the data why is ‘sys’ not able to include it?