Randall wrote:
~
> Any application that involves a "persistent" database, i.e., one where
the data is
> long-lived and expected to exist and evolve over time, sooner or later
has the issue
> of moving customers from a V1 database to a V2 database.  Obviously at
least one
> technical issue (there are probably others) is how to convert existing
data from one
> DB format to another, given some arbitrary set of changes in the
database schema in
> the interim.

> Are there accepted or best practices in the industry for handling this
in general,
> or with SQLite in particular?  Can anyone who has implemented this make
useful
> suggestions?  Or are there published resources I am missing?

Hello,

I should suppose pretense with I'm wholly ignorant to such a process, but
even
has such may have some wisdom. The only reason I'm replying because I have
been
working on I guess an ORM, data converter it seems.

One, it seems data is best preserved in a standard raw format such as CSV.
SQL
statements from one database do not translate to another databases well and
perhaps of the same database v1 to v2.

Two, with changes to schema it seems the simple way to go would be export
data
in a query fashion, to match the new schema. Leave out columns not needed and
a default for new.

Three, this in hindsight, but data should be always be in it simplest form as
possible, Integer, Char, etc. The most intolerant data is temporal
information.
For these ALWAYS use a SQL or a common appropriate standard.

danap.