On 8/31/2011 5:56 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In the above, each database is newly created as shown. What I had
forgotten to do was to create the "test" table in the second database
before copying the data. What seems to happen is that, lacking a
"test" table in the test2 database, SQLite appears to assume that I
must mean the "test" table in the test1 database - it tries to copy
data from the table into itself and so gets the error above.

Yes. This is documented behavior - see http://sqlite.org/lang_attach.html.

Is this reasonable behaviour? I might have expected to have a "no such table"
error.

Which part of the documentation might have led you to expect that?
--
Igor Tandetnik