Touché Jim. Touché...

- Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Cakalic, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 1:30 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: EJB = bad = MS.net

Hmm. And this guy claims to be training other developers using Struts.
If
this is the kind of ranting that goes on in his book then its no longer
wonder to me why people have blasted it so mercilessly.

Ever tried to do a distributed transaction across multiple database
connections? Hard enough without substantial design even when they are
all
targeting the same physical database. Now try a distributed database.
What
if your enterprise data is coming from multiple sources? Or you want to
involve messaging in the transaction? As for security, you can take it
or
leave it in the EJB model. But wouldn't be a good idea to design a
single
access point for such a resource to encapsulate the security policy? And
wouldn't it be good for that policy to be declarative? And wouldn't you
like
the security credentials to be automatically propogated by the ORB? And
wouldn't you like the roles to be retrieved from the same mechanism used
authenticate the user in the first place? And why would you write all
that
when it already exists?

Granted, excessive use of EJB technology just because it is in your
pocket
is not a good design choice. But claiming it is always a bad choice
regardless of circumstances is just as bad if not worse IMHO. Disputing
the
pros/cons of EJB and related technologies with someone who clearly does
not
appreciate the systemic issues the technologies are attempting to
address is
sorta like debating the benefits of MVC with one of those
died-in-the-wool,
you'll-never-change-my-mind, always-choose-the-most-expedient-route
Model 1
programmers we've all run up against. They're so indoctrinated with
their
own BS that they just can't see anything else.

Jim Cakalic

http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg03376.html