On 9/11/2002 at 11:00 AM David Graham wrote:

>I want to have a form with a variable number of input boxes.  For
>example, a
>simple edit person form that has a first name and last name input box for
>each person in your db.  So the first set would be named firstName_12
>lastName_12, the second set might be firstName_45623 and lastName_45623.
>The number after the underscore is the personID from the db table.  When
>the
>form is submitted you loop over these fields and update the appropriate
>row
>in the database from the _ID info.
>
>I've read through the docs on DynaBeans and that seems like the way to go
>but I'm still not sure how to go about this. When populating the
>DynaFormBean, does struts just go through the request params and assign
>them
>to new form properties?  How would you validate this type of form?

The Dyna beans don't exactly give you what you're looking for. The
properties of a Dyna bean must be known at deployment time, do they're not
directly suited for dynamic forms (the Dyna prefix is a bit misleading).
What you probably want are map-backed ActionForm beans (which can be
vanilla or Dyna, actually, with some caveats). There is no documentation in
the user guide for them, but I've written a patch that adds some. Comments
on it are greatly welcomed.

- donald