Kelly Brownsberger wrote:
I'm running Pidgin on Windows (XP) - is there a setting/preference to instruct Pidgin to not flash in the Windows taskbar while running? I'm not really sure why it's flashing exactly, but I'm guessing it's notifying me that one or more buddies just came online. That's not

This change might be more difficult than it seems!

Firstly the flashing is actually done by Windows and is the result of a window requesting focus when it belongs to an application that is not currently running, so it would be the byproduct of Pidgin trying to focus a window, and therefore difficult to remove without also preventing Pidgin switching windows automatically when it is the current foreground application.

Secondly, searching the code for likely keywords failed to find any place, except when trying to start a second copy of Pidgin, where it explicitly sets focus. This could be because I didn't try the right keywords, but it could mean that it is the side effect of modifying the contents of a window using the graphics library that Pidgin uses.

On the other hand, focus setting operations on the buddy window do seem to trigger protocol dependent operations, so not trying to set focus may result in the buddy window not updating properly. (Windows relies on message which can be spied on by various windows, and the buddy window is responding to such a message, which means that there need not be any place in the code where the request is explicitly made.) I'm not sure if this is actually the actual final focussing, which will probably still happen, or the request to focus.

I'm not an expert on the structure of the Pidgin source code, nor on Win32 APIs that support the Windows GUI, but it seems, at least, possible that this behaviour may be difficult to change. On the other hand, I may well have overlooked something.

--
David Woolley