On 2022-10-06 10:53, David Woolley wrote:
Typically, what I find with support forums, is that the people making one time appearances, to ask a question, prefer forums, because they are fashionable, but those who stick around and answer tend to prefer mailing lists.  However both mailing list and forum camps can have a serious amount of religious fervour.

I absolutely agree with this.

In fact, this is part of why I like Discourse, I follow as a mailing list user to discover what I want to interact with and reply by email the majority of the time, so it mostly is just a mailing list, but it has the forum-based features for those needing support.

Neither side can do without the other.