Aarghh!! Jeromie's got the dreaded Green Slime Disease! LOL! Well
Jeromie, you're not the first, not the last either I'm sure.

It's very strange, IMHO, how people fall in love with algae, of all
things to fall in love with, but they do it nonetheless, and then
after that they can't seem to see straight anymore, love is blind.
Anything about oil from algae or biodiesel from algae that isn't
altogether "positive" and doesn't help shore up their assumptions and
presumptions, such as asking "Where can I buy some?" when the
perennial answer is that there isn't any, either gets ignored or
attacked, like you just badmouthed the guy's religion or something.

This is from the list archives two years ago (I have a whole bunch of
them if anyone's interested) (which I'm not):

>  >>>>>  > Could we replace all our oil with bio-fuels? Well...
>maybe... (Jason& Katie)
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>>1000 gallons methanol per acre with hemp if using pyrolytic
>distillation. (Kirk)
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>And/or 100,000 gallons of oil per acre when growing algae.
>(Todd Swearingen)
>  >>>>
>  >>>Um, where exactly are these acres of algae each producing 100,000
>  >>>gallons of oil? Anywhere here on Planet Earth in August 2006? (Keith)
>  >>
>  >>Southern Kaliforn-I-eh. By December's end, 2007. Plant is or has
>already been
>  >>contracted upon and should be completed by then. (Todd)
>  >>
>  >So in short Todd, as with the last 25 years, there is no biodiesel
>  >from algae right now on Planet Earth, but hey! it's just around the
>  >corner (December next year this time).
>
>But it was not possible to persuade Todd that there was any
>difference between here and now on the one hand and perhaps in 18
>months' time on the other. Instead I got berated and told I don't
>have any vision and I hate biofuels and so on.

And it didn't happen anyway.

Also from the list archives two years ago, Bobby Emory, the
list-owner at the Oil_from_algae group at Yahoo, told me that after
two years they were on the verge of a breakthrough: a professor at
the group had just got a centrifuge so he could get the oil out of
the algae, and he'd soon be running his truck on 1/2 SVO and 1/2
biodiesel, both from his algae. Also just around the corner, and it
also didn't happen, and two years later they still don't have a
method. I'm not sure they even have a sample. (Oil_from_algae group,
founded: Aug 3, 2004, members: 2146.)

Also from the list archives, Wikipedia said two years ago: "The
highest yield feedstock for biodiesel is algae, which can produce 250
times the amount of oil per acre as soybeans... Studies using a
species of algae with up to 50% oil content have concluded that only
0.3% of the land area of the US could be utilized to produce enough
biodiesel to replace all transportation fuel the country currently
utilizes."

Have a look at what Wikipedia says now - not quite so sure:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel>

And so on and on, no end of fantasy/hype/scam to do with oil from
algae. But in the real world oil from algae still doesn't exist, and
doesn't look like doing so any time soon.

Jeromie says:

>Assuming the info about
>bio-reactors pans out, there is plenty of space to use for algae and
>other food stuffs that lend to hydroponics.

The information about bioreactors that isn't based on fantasy, hype
or scam is that it doesn't pan out. John Benemann calls them "bizarre
contraptions". "The use of closed photobioreactors (>$100+/m2) for
such applications is totally absurd."

And: "There are now scores of venture-financed companies, university
research groups, government labs, garage start-ups, GFT licensees,
web sites, and on and on claiming that they have, can, may and/or
will produce algae biodiesel, at low cost, high productivity, soon,
etc. None are based on data, experience, reality or even a correct
reading of the literature."

The Biopact report agrees: "The claims that algae yield 'enormous'
amounts of useable biomass, have never been demonstrated or
substantiated. Algae production in photobioreactors has never left
the laboratory or pilot phase and no energy balance and greenhouse
gas balance analyses exist for biofuels obtained from such systems."

Krassen Dimitrov says bioreactors are "probably the most absurd
approach that can be undertaken", and he explains why.

These three articles (which include links to further information) are
reffed at the Journey to Forever website section on Oil from algae:
<http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#alg>

Jeromie, I've now referred you to these articles twice (actually
three times), but you ignore them, and don't reply. Not "positive"
enough for you eh?

>While I do not yet have the numbers it looks like it
>could very easily be done by a small group.

That's what the folks at the Oil_from_algae group think too, there
are a couple of thousand of them there, working away at it for four
years and they've achieved nothing. Other cases here in the list
archives going back seven years, they also achieved nothing.

You won't listen to that either, too negative.

 From my reply to a message about algae two weeks ago:

>That's all in the archives, and, sorry, but I'm really tired of
>writing about all this "algae will save the world" stuff, dead bored
>with it, long ago. It's crap. :-(
>
>Check next time eh, won't you please?

Not only algae, in this case, also hydroponics. You say:

>Why not? It works fine. I was referring to areas where soil crops do
>not or can not grow.

There speaks a man who doesn't know what soil is. We had an argument
about hydroponics here a few months ago, with someone else who said
he didn't have space and so on. Go and look it up (plenty more about
it in the archives too). Incidentally, I've produced plenty of great
food in a wide variety of places where it was said plants wouldn't
grow, where there wasn't any soil, where there wasn't enough space
and so on, including in a tiny 450 sq ft apartment on the 19th floor
in the city, producing my own soil from kitchen scraps in a wormbin
under the sink, and never any call for hydroponics. Here at the
moment it's cold, sub-zero, lots of snow, yet we eat fresh food from
the garden every day, no hydroponics, not even a greenhouse.

Also "fertiliser", whether from algae or not - the one and only
fertiliser that's worth having is good-quality compost, which anyone
can make anywhere. That's not just an opinion. Good compost is the
only real fertiliser. It fertilises the soil, whereas other so-called
fertilisers don't do that (except in a half-assed way perhaps, by
accident), and they're not even intended to: they don't build soil
fertility, they're just plant nutrients. But once the soil is really
fertile all the nutrients are provided as needed, in the perfect
form. "Don't feed the plant, feed the soil." Composting is the
essential basis of sustainable food production. Plenty about that in
the archives also, and at the JtF website.

Also Appropriate Technology, which isn't just taking big,
centralised, industrialised operations and scaling them down, it's
technology that fits. You say:

>I am trying, in my way, to think that way. To get there I need to
>educate myself.

Once again, lots of good info in the list archives and at the
Appropriate Technology section of the JtF website. Read Schumacher:
<http://journeytoforever.org/at_link.html#small>

But, "This place is an excellent place to learn," said Robert, and
you replied: "That is why I am here."

That's your idea of learning is it Jeromie, to ignore whatever
disagrees with your assumptions and presumptions?

It doesn't work that way here. The list has rules, which you've been
referred to at least twice. The rules say: "If someone questions you,
don't just ignore them. You should be prepared to substantiate what
you say, or to acknowledge it if you can't." List members are also
required to use the list resources, ie the list archives and the JtF
website. The List rules are here:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg70818.html>

Go and do your homework Jeromie. When you've done it you can come back again.

As Robert said:

>  >     Bottom line?  Oil from algae is a research grant wannabe.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/