A note on the side (and maybe an angle to divert some of those funds to
something really useful): what has always struck me very weird about
open geo data in the UK, compared to practically every other Western
European country (even those with far, far less open data), is the, in
general, dismal aerial imagery quality. It is not unusual to have at
least nominal resolution 25cm/px imagery if not 10cm and better in lots
of places for larger areas.

In my experience (which is fairly extensive in this regard) freeing up
imagery is much easier than actual datasets and our use case is rather
exotic in any case so typically not seen as a competitive danger.

Simon