To: <TCP@techcommpros.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:47 AM
Subject: [TCP] learning web skills

Hi Dan,
I have worked with Front Page, as well as Dreamweaver in the past, and just took a community college course in web design because I wanted more training in the actual coding. There are great no-cost learning resources at
http://www.w3schools.com/
I also recommend this book for learners, _Head First HTML with CSS and XHTML_. It explains as well as demonstrates, and works well while learning the tags and initial coding. Other books are stronger as reference tools once you have some general understanding of the code and want further details. But _Head First HTML_ is a great teacher. I bought mine used on amazon.com . If you do want to learn how the code actually works, you can just start writing code using a book as reference, in a Notepad file, and saving it using a .html extension. Then you can select the file and see how it displays in the browser. No investment in software and you get to learn the real coding.

Re. taking a course, you might want to ask about the format of the class for which you are registered. I and another friend who is also a technical writer both took a community college course in web design and we found it disappointing in terms of depth of content and the instructor's willingness to field questions. It is a skill you learn by doing, over and over. My class had only a few (large) assignments, and the instructor gave no feedback on the coding, just a number grade. So see if you can check out some details about how your class will run. Just my two cents, but maybe you can benefit from our experience.

regards,
Amy Vastola

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial. www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/

Need help? Contact listad...@techcommpros.com