Indeed. Look no further than screws and bolts, or twist fasteners.

 - slot head
 - Robertson/square-socket head
 - Philips/cross-head, with PoziDriv and SupaDriv variants
 - Torx
 - hex-head  (Ikea furniture anyone?
 - socket-style (what's the correct term?) that is turned with a wrench or
socket screwdriver - usually machine screws
 - ... various 'security' styles (intended to be difficult to remove without
the special driver and the secret handshake)
 - etc.

That's all in aid of fastening two pieces of hard material together. Every
decade or three, another "standard" pops up for spiral, threaded fasteners and
the driver/head to turn 'em...

And that's only one tool category and subset of fasteners. There are plenty
more fasteners that need all sorts of tools that are not screwdrivers... and
each of those has its own subsets for different tasks and specialty niches.

There must be about six or eight basic styles of hammers, and an infinite
variety of sizes and shapes.

Saws?  Don't get me started, on just hand-saws alone... before we get into the
powered ones like bench circular saws, portable circular saws, chop/mitre saws,
band saws, jig saws, demolition reciprocating (Sawzall) saws, spiral saws, hole
saws, etc.

How could techwriting possibly be expected to ... well... NOT follow
that example?

As a further observation, to keep this relevant, could we not
draw a parallel between the dark thoughts (sometimes spoken
aloud) that we hold for the people who hand us a document
riddled with spot formatting or a million custom "styles",
and the kind thoughts that we have toward whatever brain-dead
!...@#$%$^&!! chose to use SLOT-head screws on the item that we
now need to disassemble and fix?

or disclosing it.

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/