raj nair asked:

"Does multiple tools restrict the opportunities available for technical
communicators? Why is that there is no single standard tool for the
technical writing industry?"

Hi Raj,

There are multiple tools because there is a plethora of types of technical
writing....web content, HATTs, user guides, service manuals, software
manuals, API reference guides, consumer instructions, video base
materials.... About the only "single standard tool" would be the one used to
write the original text and that would be whatever your company uses at its
main word processor (mostly Word). For larger companies, that could be
FrameMaker. Then, you have to think about illustrations (line art,
photography, and so on) and if you're end product will be printed, displayed
as web pages, presented as downloadable PDFs, or some combination of the
three. You may find one tool that can do it all, but I have yet to find one
tool that can do all the necessary things for all the types of writing
equally. AND...what happens when some company comes out with something
better. Do you dump your standard or move on?

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al.ge...@geistassociates.com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/