--- Begin Message ---
On Aug 12, 2022, at 7:27 AM, Christian via tcpdump-workers
<tcpdump-workers@lists.tcpdump.org> wrote:

> I pick up this thread of mine again from 7th march of this year (wireshark
> extension for a Kernel Module (like Usbmon)​ ) enhanced with a configure
> issue,

Unless I've missed something, "again" means "again, in a different mailing
list", as the only previous message I can find about it was to the
wireshark-dev mailing list...

> which was discussed lot of times ( tcpdump configure script doesn't correctly
> handle static builds ). But Im not sure, if this is a real issue for github.
>
> In my case, I was able to build Tcpdump with these steps:

...and my response, in the previous mail thread, to the question

> The functions kpnode_findalldevs and kpnode_create are in my files
> pcap-kpnode.c and pcap-kpnode.h. They are not finished yet but the subject of
> this mail is for now, how to connect these functions into libpcap and
> Wireshark so that they are evoked if a device /dev/kpnode emerges.

was

> You do it in libpcap.

So:

> Get libpcap with git, step into the directory invoke: ./configure
> --disable-dbus --without-dbus --without-dpdk --disable-rdma
>
> then make and make install.

OK, so far so good.

> Then I opened the tcpdump.zip archive

(.zip?  Not .tar.gz?  The current releases from

        https://www.tcpdump.org/index.html#latest-releases

are provided in .tar.gz form, as are all the other release in

        https://www.tcpdump.org/release/

Gzipped tarballs are probably easier to extract on a UN*X, as they're likely to
have either a version of tar that reads gzipped files or have gzcat and tar; to
unpack a zip archive requires a command such as unzip or a GUI tool that
unpacks zip archives.  Perhaps you mean ".zip archive" in a metaphorical sense
of "some form of archive"?  Or is this a ZIP archive provided by somebody other
than tcpdump.org?)

> within the libpcap directory. step into the directory, call ./configure and
> it build. success!

There's no requirement to unpack the tcpdump source in the libpcap source
directory.  If you *haven't* installed the libpcap that you built from source,
the best place to unpack it is in the *parent* directory of the libpcap source
directory, but if you *have* installed that libpcap, the tcpdump configure
script won't have to look for it in a directory at the same level as the
tcpdump source directory, so you can unpack the tcpdump repository anywhere.

> Then I took my changes for libpcap from march, a pcap-kpnode.c and
> pcap-kpnode.h (attached)

No, they're not attached.  Either you forgot to attach them or some mail
software stripped the attachments.  Michael/Denis/François - do we strip
attachments at any point before sending messages to the list?

> further I added into pcap.c:
>
> 100: #include "pcap-kpnode.h"
>
> 690: {kpnode_findalldevs, kpnode_create }
>
> and in Makefile.in I added my sourcefiles
>
> after that, I evoked make clean and the configure call again like that one
> before with all these switches. Then make and make install. The library was
> successfully build, also with my changes. Then I unzipped the tcpdump archive
> again to start from scratch and this time ./configure leads to that error
> message about no pcap_loop support. I added the config.log as well.

There were no attachments to the copy of your message that I received, so if
you attached it, something stripped the attachment.

--- End Message ---