See answers inline.

Am Thu, 28 Dec 2023 15:39:54 +0000
schrieb Drew Arnett <arnett.d...@gmail.com>:

> Would a database store offer any useful utility?  Journaling or ? for
> robustness?

Two points here:

- Journaling is easy, but to be honest TLF provides quite some
  robustness in that sense too. I have not heard any complies about
  lost data in all the years.

- 'useful utilites'? Sure. A database provides an extensive set of
  tools for sorting, filtering and altering datasets. Without it you
  have to write extra code for it.

  After our restructuring of the internal data representation that is
  much easier now. So the advantage of a database in that relation is
  not so big any more.

- The former discussion about a use of a database was also connected to
  the problem of the fixed log file format we inherit from TR log.
  Main problem is the fixed size and position of all QSO fields.
  A switch to another format (e.g. a database) allows

  a) internationalization (not sure if needed) and
  b) variable length fields (mainly for call and exchange)

> Does it implement whatever is needed for multi-logging computer
> contesting?

For that you would need a distributed database. But that seems really
to be a can of worms.

73, de Tom

--
"Do what is needful!"