Hi Dim & all...

My troubles are gone. ;-) One of the biggest problem was too sophisticated
configuration... ;-) I let myself to be inspirated by Jason Koeninger - in fact,
when I configure something I also would like to know what's the effect -
exactly. Summary: mod_jk.conf-auto included in httpd.conf interfered with my
directives. I wiped it out (include) and then I inserted all directives just
inside my VirtualHost in httpd.conf... and IT STARTED RUN!!! :-)))

I wanna thank to Dim which helped me to "drift" in good configuration of tomcat
itself - and thank to Jason for his hint to not include mod_jk.conf-auto.
Sometimes it can be good. But it is better to do it yourself - really! E.g. I
was always wondering why ajp12 worker is asked when I mounted my ajp13 worker!
So just this include was a reason. :-)))

At last: Something out of this topic. "Re: reference material" - Dmitri wrote
something about look at mod_jk-howt and tomcat-apache-howto... so...
In these HTMLs (on the server - so called "latest documentation" or something
;-)) is mentioned ApJServMount... really often! This confused me always I read
it. Because both documents are in mod_jk section of documentation... In fact -
tomcat-apache-howto starts with mod_jk and config examples are with these
ApJServMounts... Hm? Is it historical reason? (Many times mentioned problem of
documentation to Tomcat?)

Oh - one another question:
For one webapp I have these lines inside VirtualHost in httpd.conf (virgo is
worker ;-)):
        JkMount /*.jsp virgo            # this is common for all webapps
        JkMount /admin/* virgo          # this is because of servlets

        # Admin application
        Alias /admin "/export/home/ias/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/webapps/admin"
        <Directory "/export/home/ias/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/webapps/admin">
            Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        </Directory>
        <Location "/admin/WEB-INF/">
            AllowOverride None
            deny from all
        </Location>
        <Location "/admin/META-INF/">
            AllowOverride None
            deny from all
        </Location>

This is copied from that mod_jk.conf-auto (only changed ajp12 for virgo, etc.) -
but I tried it without Alias and it runs... is that Alias needed? Isn't it
solved with JkMount?

And really last question :-)))...
When I have servlet short names (url-mappings):
http://host:port/admin/servlet/Class
and
http://host:port/admin/shortname

Where shortname is mapped to Class class ;-)... When in such a servlet is link
to image (eg. obligate "images/tomcat.gif"), one is good (shortname), but other
not (.../admin/servlet/images/tomcat.gif doesn't exist). Which way is obvious to
solve this problem?
- Have I use only shortnames?
- Have I use absolute link? (Works in both.)
- Have I use ../images link for Class? (First case.)
- Or have I configure alias remapping servlet/images to images? (I guess this is
configured in Tomcat, not in httpd.conf - because this URL part is solved by
Tomcat, hm?)
- Or something else? :-)))

So that's all...
Thanks for solved things or any future suggestion...

Richard "Virgo" Richter

> From: Dmitri Colebatch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: JkMount in httpd.conf
> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:52:16 +1000
>
> > The fact that two are too much wasn't known to me - you
> > know, example of web.xml is the only thing I have to learn from. ;-)))
> > This was web.xml of one of my mate in work - I was just trying to let it
> > run as admin of Tomcat ;-)...
> > Now I can see that I have to write it from scratch or something... ;-)
> Have you got a copy of the (2.2) spec?  It has a reasonably readable (IMHO)
> overview of the web.xml dtd.  Might clear up a few things.  If you're
> interested in buying a book - my first introduction to servlets was
> O'Reilly's "Java Servlet Programming".  Recommend it as a good intro,
> although having said that I cant remember it covering the web.xml in detail
> (not to say it doesn't).
>
> > So - after your last mail I woke up and I'm checking logs now... but all at
> > all - the only thing I see is in mod_jk.log well known two lines:
> Ahh yes - you'll need to edit your server.xml.  Have a look for tc_log -
> there's a comment there saying put in path="logs/tomcat.log" to get more
> logging... do that.  otherwise your logging is going to stdout (I think).
> Hopefully that will give you some more info.  You can also crank up the debug
> levels in there.
>
> > Another "so" - so where is the differences between Apache-mod_jk-Tomcat and
> > standalone Tomcat? I mean differences in servlet processing. On
> > localhost:8080 everything runs perfectly and via virtual host of Apache and
> > mod_jk... only jsp. But - as I can see now - servlet request is redirected
> > - jk_uri_worker_map can't resolve it and Apache then sends obvious Not
> > found. Hm...
> I think it would be worth taking a few steps back and following the example
> to the letter.   In the doco there's a good walk through of how to get it
> working using mod_jk.conf-auto.  Have you been able to get it working without
> virtuals at the apache end?
>
> cheers
> dim

Richard Richter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Application Programmer, Business Global Systems a. s.