I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that I have to wade through all
these messages "for the good of the list". As I said, I have no experience
with Tomcat on Windows, so I'm not interested in Windows specific issues nor
can I help to solve them. Splitting along platform lines should retain a
relatively good mix of newbies and experienced developers in each list, so I
don't see the problem you are pointing out.

In any event, even if the list is split on basic vs. advanced topics,
advanced users who wanted to help the community could subscribe to all
lists. I don't think it's necessarily "bad" to want to subscribe only to the
lists you feel you can learn from. I've been lurking and posting for about 9
months now and it seems that the same basic group of people answer a
majority of the questions. I used to answer a lot more than I do now, but
I'll admit that I get pretty frustrated answering the same questions over
and over when I know the answers can be easily found in the archive. Is it
selfish or bad of me to skip over questions I used to answer, or should more
responsibility be placed on the person asking the question? (rhetorical,
because there's no way to control whether or not people actually search the
archives before posting...)

A digest version is already available for this list.

--jeff