In a perfect world, yes, I totally agree. However, in the real world, who's
going to enforce the guidelines? (we already have guidelines that few people
pay attention to...) Reposting the guidelines and links to the FAQ and
archive on a regular basis would probably help, and I agree that it should
be done.

Personally, I don't care about the volume on the list. I have a broadband
connection and it only takes me a couple of seconds to download all the
daily messages. However, I think Tomcat is a broad enough subject to warrant
more than just one generic list. I think a couple of focused lists would
help people with non-generic questions. And, as Milt Epstein points out in a
later post, involvement may actually increase on smaller, focused lists.

I don't think the volume on the tomcat-user list will decrease much at all,
even if it is split. However, splitting will allow people with focused
interests beyond getting Tomcat up and running to participate without being
deluged with messages they may not be interested in.

More choices are usually better than less.

--jeff