I know this is old and most of you must be running 11.10 now, but I just
installed 11.04 and I'm having this problem. The last version of
libcairo2 in the repos is 1.11.3, which gives me a ram usage about 1.5Gb
just after login. I've forced version 1.10.2 and everything is fine now,
ram under 500Mb.

Another problem I noticed is some apps don't close properly with the
latest libcairo2. I have a transparent gnome-terminal set as desktop
background and if I close it (with right click, exit command, or even
xkill) the process remains in top using ram). Also that prevents me from
logout or reboot the system (it keeps telling me than some apps refuse
to close).  Don't know how is this related to the graphic drivers but
forcing the older libcairo2 solved it.

If somebody is still taking care of this bug, can you tell me if there
is a more stable solution other than maintain an older package frozen?

Sorry for my bad English :)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia drivers lead to extra memory usage for each process using libGL