Problem solved for me:
Lenovo Ideapad s10-3 with fresh install of Lubuntu 14.04.
Wouldn't suspend from the shutdown menu, nor would it standby/suspend when the
lid was closed.
I installed xscreensaver, made sure it was set to activate after 0 mins,
inserted an entry for xscreensaver under menu>preferences>default applications
for lxsession>core applications, and hit "reload". Rebooted to make sure, but
it now suspends from menu, and when the lid is closed.
Under /etc/default/grub I took out a "nomodeset" start code, but that probably
hasn't had anything to do with this as the symptoms are replicable either way,
and also fixable either way.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 14.04 blank screen after wakeup from sleep