It happened after upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04. I did this when
prompted by Software Updater, so presumably it was the first version of
16.04 released through Updater. It didn't happen right after, or soon
after, that upgrade, and I don't think there were any updates to 16.04
in the days immediately before the problem started. - I can't swear to
that, as, naturally, I wasn't paying that much attention to all the
little updates one gets almost every day.

If there's a way to check my update history, you'll have to tell me how.
I do remember when the problem hit, as it was Christmas day, so I have a
definite date to search back from.

>From what I was able to find online, I gather that ultimately the
problem originates with 16.04 no longer using fglrx, although my video
card is still supposed to be supported in 16.04 - and for awhile, it
was.

  [HP Compaq nc6400] Blank screen on boot