From: Durity, Sean R [mailto:sean_r_dur...@homedepot.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:40 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] RE: What versions should the documentation support now?

The DataStax documentation is far superior to the Apache Cassandra attempts.
Apache is just poor with holes all over, goofy examples, etc. It would take a
team of people working full time to try and catch up with DataStax. I have met
the DataStax team; they are doing good work. I think it would be far more
effective to support/encourage the DataStax documentation efforts. I think they
accept corrections/suggestions – perhaps publish that email address…

What is missing most from DataStax (and most software) is the discussions of
why/when you would change a particular parameter and what should change if the
parameter changes. If DataStax created a community comments section (somewhat
similar to what MySQL tried), that would be something worth contributing to. I
love good docs (like DataStax); Apache Cassandra is hopelessly behind.

And, yes, the good documentation from DataStax was a strong reason why our
company pursued Cassandra as a data technology. It was better than almost any
other open source project we knew.

(Please, let’s refrain from the high pri emails to the user group list…)

Sean Durity