The k8ssandra requirement is a major blocker.

Sean R. Durity

INTERNAL USE
From: Christopher Bradford <bradfor...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 9:49 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Cc: Christopher Bradford <christopher.bradf...@datastax.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Check out new features in K8ssandra and Mission Control

Hey Jon, * What aspects of Mission Control are dependent on using K8ssandra?
Mission Control bundles in K8ssandra for the core automation workflows
(lifecycle management, cluster operations, medusa &. reaper). In fact we
include the K8ssandraSpec

Hey Jon,

* What aspects of Mission Control are dependent on using K8ssandra?

Mission Control bundles in K8ssandra for the core automation workflows
(lifecycle management, cluster operations, medusa &. reaper). In fact we
include the K8ssandraSpec in the top-level MissionControlCluster resource
verbatim.

 * Can Mission Control work without K8ssandra?

Not at this time, K8ssandra powers a significant portion of the C* side of the
stack. Mission Control provides additional functionality (web interface,
certificate coordination, observability stack, etc) and applies some
conventions to how K8ssandra objects are created / templated out, but the
actually K8ssandra operator present in MC is the same one available via the
Helm charts.

* Is mission control open source?

Not at this time. While the majority of the Kubernetes operators are open
source as part of K8ssandra, there are some pieces which are closed source. I
expect some of the components may move from closed source into K8ssandra over
time.

* I'm not familiar with Vector - does it require an agent?

Vector
[vector.dev]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vector.dev/__;!!M-nmYVHPHQ!L0M2-GDjSTuPzpD3TvfxiLgm2I5pLnFGmW5BhdhaYQBI6RlxK6e6ZMM2khnp8YUhfnqy2wYzjPX-UYAG9q8HOgVBPg$>
 is a pretty neat project. We run a few of their components as part of the
stack. There is a DaemonSet which runs on each worker to collect host level
metrics and scrape logs being emitted by containers, a sidecar for collecting
logs from the C* container, and an aggregator which performs some filtering and
transformation before pushing to an object store.

* Is Reaper deployed separately or integrated in?

Reaper is deployed as part of the cluster creation workflow. It is spun up and
configured to connect to the cluster automatically.

~Chris

Christopher Bradford

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 6:55 PM Jon Haddad