Hey everyone,

I've got some questions regarding savepoints in Flink. I have the following
situation:

There is a microservice that reads data from Kafka topics, creates Flink
streams from this data and does different computations/pattern matching
workloads. If the overall workload for this service becomes too big, I want to
start a new instance of this service and share the work between the running
services. To accomplish that, I thought about using Flinks savepoint mechanism.
But there are some open questions:

1.)    Can I combine two or more savepoints in one program?
Think of two services already running. Now I'm starting up a third service. The
new one would get savepoints from the already running services. It than would
continue computation of some streams while the other services would discard
calculation on these streams now calculated by the new service. So, is it
possible to combine two or more savepoints in one program?

2.)    Another approach I could think of for accomplishing the introduction of
a new service would be, to just take a savepoint of the streams that change
service. Can I only take a savepoint of a part of the running job?

Thanks for your comments and best wishes,
Claudia