I was trying to check the behaviour of HBase. The cluster is a group of old computers, one master, five slaves, each one with 2Gb, so, 12gb in total. The table has a column family with 1000 columns and each column with 100 versions. There's another column faimily with four columns an one image of 100kb. (I've tried without this column family as well.) The table is partitioned manually in all the slaves, so data are balanced in the cluster.

I'm executing this sentence *scan 'table1', {FILTER => "ValueFilter(=, 'binary:5')"* in HBase 0.94.6
My time for lease and rpc is three minutes.
Since, it's a full scan of the table, I have been playing with the BLOCKCACHE as well (just disable and enable, not about the size of it). I thought that it was going to have too much calls to the GC. I'm not sure about this point.

I know that it's not the best way to use HBase, it's just a test. I think that it's not working because the hardware isn't enough, although, I would like to try some kind of tunning to improve it.